Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hittin’ It hard



Are you kidding me? I just start to feel vaguely like I might be working myself up to some level of fitness and endurance and riding at least three times a week and that a minimum of 100 miles a month is a good goal for now and … and … then my dear wife and I go away for a long (much needed) weekend. The normally mild (boring) April weather turns blast-furnace hot and nasty for days on end, and I’m supposed to leave town again this weekend and won’t be able to ride for another three days of the week and pretty much all of my forward momentum – pun intended – to cycle on a consistent basis has hit a big ol’ brick wall.

So now the battle will be to not let one week with only one ride (last week) turn into this week with no rides, and another week, and another week, and then I’m right back at square one.

I remember reading once how long an athlete (now, that’s funny!) can go without training/working out before his/her muscles and stamina are back to the way they were before training began. I think it was something like 3 weeks max away from training before you’re starting all over again. I’m sure it’s quicker the older you get. With me, it feels like it must be about 3 days. But as I said in the last post, that problem is mostly in my noggin’.

And so, today is supposed to be yet another 100 degree scorcher (I love L.A.—not) and I somehow seriously doubt my wife and son will feel too much like suiting up in black spandex and sweating our collective brains out, gasping for lungs-full of superheated L.A. basin air with its inversion layer soup of toxins and pollutants, rolling our skinny bike tires over taffy-soft blacktop that radiates the sun’s heat back up at you in shimmering thermal waves. Care to join me?

And so another day will pass unridden. I guess it’s days and weeks like these for which they invented indoor trainers. I just can’t help but think that – after investing hundreds of $$s in a trainer, it would only sit unused and collecting dust and clothes hangers just like the majority of treadmills and rowing machines sitting unused in bedrooms and basements around the world.

Thankfully, tomorrow is another day and the crack weather forecasters on TV (weather forecasters on crack?) are predicting that our daytime highs will drop nearly 20 degrees. I sure hope so. I’ve got a lot of time in the saddle to make up in order to ride around the brick wall that’s in front of me.

Ride on.

No comments:

Post a Comment